Friday, April 19, 2024
6.6 C
New Jersey

World Food Program Ceases Operations in Sudan Following Tragic Deaths of 3 Employees

Must read

Bradley Booth
Bradley Booth is an experienced editor with a Bachelor's degree in English and a Master's degree in Publishing. He has worked on various projects across genres and is committed to helping writers achieve their goals with high-quality work delivered on time and within budget.

The United Nations Food Agency has temporarily suspended all operations in Sudan after three of Its employees were killed on Sunday in Clashes between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces that broke out out a day ago.

“While we review As the security situation evolves, we are forced to temporarily halt all operations in “Sudan,” said Cindy McCain, Executive Director of the World Food Programme. in a permit.

“The World Food Program is committed to helping the Sudanese people facing Extreme food insecurity, but we can’t save our lives work if it was safety And security of our teams Partners are not guaranteed.

Three program staff were killed and two injured in Clashes in capkabiya in North Darfur. A spokesman for the World Food Program told Reuters the three dead They were all Sudanese.

McCain also He said it was hard for WFP staff will work after a United Nations Humanitarian Air Service plane suffered “significant damage” at Khartoum Airport, Sudan, during an exchange. of fire on Saturday.

The accident seriously affected me organization’s ability to move Humanitarian and aid workers in Sudan said.

Earlier Sunday, the United Nations condemned killing of WFP employees, saying they died while they were pregnant out their duties.

Volker Perthes head of The United Nations Integrated Transition Assistance Mission (UNITAMS), established in 2020 to support He said the democratic transition in Sudan in statement was also Shocking reports of Projectiles hit United Nations and other humanitarian buildings, in addition to reports of Looting of United Nations buildings and other humanitarian buildings in several locations in Darfur.”

a power struggle Between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces, 56 civilians have been killed and 595 wounded so far peopleincluding fighters.

Fighting broke out out on Saturday, between units of the army loyal to Major General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, and the Rapid Support Forces led by Major General Muhammad Hamdan Dagalo, known as Hamidati.

He was first Such an outbreak since they are both joined forces to overthrow President Omar Hassan al-Bashir in in 2021 hit.

More articles

Leave a Reply

Latest article